[rollei_list] Re: Bellows on 2.8D?...an answer from Mr Prochnow

  • From: J Patric Dahlén <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:59:37 +0000

It's not a membrane or a diaphragm. It's just a 3 x 102 mm strip of velvet felt, just like the light trap in sheet film holders. It's glued in a slot sround the lens hole in the camera body. If it looks like it moves, it's just the fibers bowing when the lens tube moves.

The ring Prochnow talks about, that "looks different according each calculation" could be the lens tube. The velvet felt is just a light trap, and can't do anything to improve the results other than avoiding light leaks.

I got a new lens tube in one of my Rolleis I sent for repair. Don't know why it was replaced (the old one looked good in my eyes), but the repairman didn't charge me anything extra for that.

/Patric

From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes Richard, I have seen again the Rolleicord IV and
really it has a membrane or diaphragm that appears
when you put the focus mechanism at the minimum
focusing distance, it has a reddish color and it's
very different regarding the system for the 2.8C,
while the 2.8C is similar to your 2.8E, (it moves
following the lens movement as Todd explained),  the
Rolleicord IV membrane or diaphragm(there are no
"bellows" here)  is invisible till you advance the
lens to the minimum focusing distance (0.80m), that
was the reason I did not see it before. As Prochnow
wrote, the diaphragm, (or short "bellows" or membrane
or whatever) looks different according each
"calculation".
The Rollei TLR cameras anti-reflection system are very
effective according my experience; of course, as you
wrote, it is not perfect if you shoot into the sun,
but for this case it sometimes helps to obtain a bit
of flare control enough for some detail in the photo.
Perhaps that issue about the roller reflection seen in
some cameras has something to do with problems for
this "diaphragm".-

All the best