[rollei_list] Re: Bellows on 2.8D?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:53:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger M. Wiser" <rwiser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Bellows on 2.8D?

Jerry / Todd , it sounds like another thing to deteriorate or go wrong, yet I have not heard of any such problems.

Roger

It would be interesting to know what prompted the design change. I've never heard that the felt liner caused problems but there were several design changes to the front mechanism so perhaps the change was made necessary by them. Its possible that Prochnow addresses this but I must pick my way through the German nearly word by word so may have missed it.

In general, bellows can be quite reliable depending on what they are made of. Leather is notoriously subject to drying and rotting, synthetics are not. So, one finds many Linhof cameras needing new bellows and very few Speed Graphics. I don't know for certain when Graflex started using synthetic bellows but all the Anniversary and later cameras I've seen (post 1939) have them. If the light seal in the Rollei if of similar material its likely just as long lived as the felt.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx