[rollei_list] Re: Batteries

  • From: David Dodge <dannysoar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 04:28:02 -0500

I know you can use the 1.5v batteries in Pentax Spotmatics. There is a bridge circuit it there.  I use the cheap and easily available  Zinc Oxide hearing aid batteries with a spacer in my Nikon and  Olympi.  But I make sure I have a pack of extras, especially with the OM-4 where the shutter is limited to 1/60th with a dead battery.

Austin Franklin wrote:
Hi Eric,

My own conclusion after trying them all is either the CRIS adapter or
using silver oxide replacements and recalibrating to the higher (but
consistent and long-lived) voltage. I find the Z-O cells too short
lived to count on... often just about dead right new right from the
package...

I have come to the same conclusion about ZO batteries.  I won't use them.
But, I have found that simply "recalibrating" (which means different things)
to a higher voltage battery does not always yield the "correct" results
across the entire exposure range.

Some cameras, like the Canon EF, are simply plug and play.  The circuitry
has a wider tolerance for input voltage (some claim it has a voltage
regulator, but there is no proof of that, and I have the schematics and
circuit boards etc., and find no regulator, unless it is embedded in the one
IC in the circuit, which I doubt), and the meter readings are the same for
mercury or silver oxide, with no adjustment.

Regards,

Austin

--- Rollei List - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Online, searchable archives are available at //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list