[rollei_list] Re: Back on the list / OT

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:07:43 -0800

Roger,

Richard has erred. How could you possibly get solvent in the Culminars shutter leaves, or even on the iris leaves when it has a removable lens
head, and is unscrewed from the camera by it's 42mm thread?

I have used Ronsonol for just that pupose when a friends Schacht Travegon (or Travenar) had the exact same problem. Just remove from Leica, unscrew lenshead and drip some solvent in. It won't last forever, but it works NOW when he wants it,

Jerry

On 1/31/2011 3:16 PM, Roger Wiser wrote:
Jan, I agree 100% with Richard K. Send it in for repairs. I purchased a German folder that had the focusing helix totally stuck.. I thought that would be a simple job. It would not budge. I attempted to free it by using so;vent and avoiding getting any in the lens. I did this repeatedly without success. Finally it worked the focusing free but in my efforts some of the solvent got into the shutter. leaves.

Roger

Hi Everyone,

I am back on the list after a trip to Liberia in November and for a
while too much to do to sign back in earlier.

Just purchased another nice Contessa folder (Synchro-Compur) and a
Practica FX with shutter problems, but a WL fiinder with unique slide-
in prism viewer and 2 lenses, a Schacht Ulm Travegon 3.5/35mm and a
Steinheil München Culminar 4.5/135mm.  The Culminar is finished in
gorgeous matte chrome. Looks very much like a my Leitz Elmar 4/135mm
and, like that lens, it  has a removable lens head, albeit with a
different thread then the Elmar/Hektor lens heads (Marc?). Both
lenses are in "M42" (Contax S, Practica, Asahi P. thread mount).

The Culminar's focussing helicoid is very stiff.  Anyone know if
that's easy to fix? It would be a nice lens to use on an AP Spotmatic
etc.

Jan

The lubricant in the focusing helix has hardened up. I've found that standard grease down't work well, the stuff used seems to have a particular viscosity so that it has some drag. I don't know what the right grease is. A similar grease is used on the focusing cams of the Rolleiflex. I would not try to get solvent into the helix to free it both because it may make it_too_ free and because it may work its way into the lens cells. I don't know who repairs these things.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles