[rollei_list] Re: Back on the list / OT

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:00:43 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 10:20 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Back on the list / OT

Hi Everyone,

I am back on the list after a trip to Liberia in November and for a
while too much to do to sign back in earlier.

Just purchased another nice Contessa folder (Synchro-Compur) and a Practica FX with shutter problems, but a WL fiinder with unique slide- in prism viewer and 2 lenses, a Schacht Ulm Travegon 3.5/35mm and a Steinheil München Culminar 4.5/135mm. The Culminar is finished in gorgeous matte chrome. Looks very much like a my Leitz Elmar 4/135mm and, like that lens, it has a removable lens head, albeit with a different thread then the Elmar/Hektor lens heads (Marc?). Both lenses are in "M42" (Contax S, Practica, Asahi P. thread mount).

The Culminar's focussing helicoid is very stiff. Anyone know if that's easy to fix? It would be a nice lens to use on an AP Spotmatic
etc.

Jan

The lubricant in the focusing helix has hardened up. I've found that standard grease down't work well, the stuff used seems to have a particular viscosity so that it has some drag. I don't know what the right grease is. A similar grease is used on the focusing cams of the Rolleiflex. I would not try to get solvent into the helix to free it both because it may make it_too_ free and because it may work its way into the lens cells. I don't know who repairs these things.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles