[rollei_list] Re: Automat 'Tropical'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 03:05:58 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:46 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Automat 'Tropical'

I live very close to the Tropicorn Tropic, our climate is subtropical to tropical and humid along the year, every day (except for a few days) the top temperature is above 29ºC from September to June and from June up to September we could get (it does not always happen) cold air coming from the Patagonia for some weeks, humidity is high to
very high in general.

My father bought the 1954 Rolleiflex 2.8C in 1956 here and then my 2.8C has about 60 years "living" under the conditions described above. I agree with Richard in general, but I'd add fungus as the first risk here for the camera/lenses, they proliferate and you need to take precautions like to expose your cameras to the light regularly and to change the air around the cameras regularly too, fungi need stable conditions for some time to grow.The Xenotar got fungi after 30 years without problems because my father kept the camera into a closet but they could be eliminated without consequences for the lens. The 2.8C still looks good and works very well, ever main part is original except for a few gears that needed to be replaced due to wear by use. It has the original leather, only the front panel leather shows a few peelings in the black color (BTW the everready case helps to keep the
leather).

My point is that I could say the 2.8C is a Tropical camera or the F or the 'cord IV too. I agree that the engraved "Tropical " word for some pre-war Rollei TLR models has to do with some oil, grease, paint and light material, they were regular cameras with some diffeence on these topics. It's a pity Claus Prochnow is dead, he had the means and direct sources (former Rollei employees) to look for a right answer, I'm sure he would be interested on the topic 'cause it would touch his collector vein; it's very possible a "Tropical" version never crossed his way and they did not find documents on the issue for his books.

Carlos

From the various posts I am beginning to wonder if "tropical" on the Rollei meant only that it was made for sale in certain tropical countries and had NO differences at all. As I stated there were tropical versions of some cameras made. The English in particular had cameras to be sold in their tropical colonies. These were made of Teak, had NO leather covering, Russia leather bellows and, perhaps, special corrosion resistant metal parts although I am not sure of the last. Old editions of the _British Journal Almanak_ have copious advertisments for such cameras. I am pretty sure I have seen ads for German-made tropical cameras, since Germany also had, at one time or another, some tropical colonies. There really is nothing very vulnerable in a Rollei other than the leather covering. I do agree that the adhesive used to fasten the leather may have been changed. One would want something that did not support mold growth or attract insects. BTW, Los Angeles can get quite tropical at times although it usually does not last for long. Right now its dry as toast but is supposed to rain again around Friday or Saturday. Rain in the city makes no difference to the chronic drought conditions we have, most of it just runs off into the ocean. What does help is a large snow pack in the High Sierra mountains, that's really where our water comes from.

--
Richard Knoppow