[rollei_list] Re: Automat 'Tropical'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:27:09 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Sadowski" <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:43 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Automat 'Tropical'

Perhaps it went like this. When stock Rollei cameras were taken to the tropics, there must have been problems resulting from certain materials being exposed to prolonged heat. So, on a special order basis, the factory modified some cameras for use in the tropics, using
different materials.

If I had to guess, it could be different glue used to keep the covering on, and maybe different grease used to focus the lenses.

I don't know specifically about Rollei cameras but tropical conditions are more about prolonged high humidity than heat alone. The combination of heat and humidity causes corrosion of many metals and is conducive to the growth of mold. The idea is to avoid metals which corrode easily and materials which are culture media for the mold. Leather does not do well in the tropics. In addition to mold and corrosion there are a lot of insects in tropical areas that can raise hob with anything they can eat, again leather and wood are vulnerable here. Old view cameras came in "tropical" versions with so called Russia leather, supposedly tanned with mold and insect resisting materials. I don't know if it was successful. Tropical cameras also used woods like Teak which were more resistant to mold, heat and insects. Of course, no wood is used in Rollei cameras but its likely they would survive better with some other covering than leather, or no covering. Certain metals, bronzes for instance, are resistant to high humidity and are often used for marine applications. There may also have been some issue with lubricants but perhaps more to make them mold resistant than heat resistant. It would be interesting to hear from anyone with authentic information about what Rollei did.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA