[rollei_list] April 1: Leica mystique -- some help!

  • From: Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:50:58 -0800

Ardeshir et al.

For all these thick Leica propaganda quotes you gave us I can only
"retaliate" with the following website written by someone who pokes great
fun at the "Leica mystique" yet at the same time knows how to use it for
what it was intended:

GEN X Leica Slacker
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/

Enjoy,
Jan

===
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:22:38 -0500
From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Don't get me wrong: I am in FAVOUR of Leicas (rangefinders, not SLRs)
as opposed to Canons, Nikons, Minoltas or indeed any other brand of 35 mm
camera, whether SLR or not. But the reasons have nothing to do with
utility. The reasons have to do with the MYSTIQUE of the Leica - or, as
Leica's own web site proclaims:
[QUOTE]
Leica products enjoy a cult status: on one hand they are highly refined
designs that are fabricated with unequaled mechanical and optical
precision. On the other hand, they have an extraordinary aura that can
evoke feelings and emotions.
And it is precisely this unique combination of that warm aura and bold,
perfect technology that created the Leica mystique. A person who
reaches for a Leica is not just opting for a particular camera, but
also for an exquisite new internal attitude that will affect this
persons way of taking pictures, it will even determine it.
[END QUOTE]
That's exactly it! At least as far as *I* am concerned.