[rollei_list] Re: Apologies to Richard Knoppow

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:32:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:40 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Apologies to Richard Knoppow

Richard  und Marc,

Dechert was talking through his distal orifice. I had TWO of those 47mm Ektar for Kardon lenses. (civilian and military). They were both superb, I made numerous 11x14 prints from B&W
negatives.  I still have the Kodachrome slides.

That lens was superior to the f3.5 50mm Elmar.

Jerry Lehrer

Not surprizing. Kodak had considerable experience with Biotar type lenses, including the lens for the Ektra (a seven element lens) or the one for the Bantam Special (six element lens) and the Aero-Ektar (again a seven element lens). Since the Elmar was a modified Tessar (stop in the front air space), its not surprizing the Biotar types would have better performance. I will add that whatever was lacking in the mechanical design of Kodak cameras does not apply to their lens mounts, which are excellent. Also, the Kodak Supermatic shutters were well designed and well made.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA