[rollei_list] Re: Apologies to Richard Knoppow

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:08:04 -0800

Well, I for one may put it on my "reading to make me fall asleep" pile but I
would not waste much time in reading about antiquates lenses. I mean what's
the point? At least Shudderbug (as you call it) is a bit more current and we
may learn something about composing a photo. Now if Dechert talks about
lenses that are current like the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L zoom I may be
interested, but honestly the only antique I have any interest in is my
Rollei. I do not even like older cars.

Peter K

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> At 11:29 PM 10/24/2009, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>
>> Marc -
>>
>> Like Peter said, I think Jerry misunderstood. I did, too. I also thought
>> that the Coke bottle pejorative was being tossed up against this legendary
>> lens.
>>
>> Was the 47mm/2 Ektar on the Retina the same as the LTM lens?
>>

> I suspect that you folks would better spend your time in reading the
> voluminous writings of Peter Dechert and coming to know him for the fine
> scholar he is before jumping to absolutely unwarranted conclusions about his
> praise for the 2/47 Ektar in a rather noted article in SHUDDERBUG, back in
> the day.
>
> And buy my LTM lens book, where I cite Peter's comment.  Of the hundreds of
> folks who have read the book, none have ever questioned the spirit intended
> by Peter when he made the remark.
>

> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!