[rollei_list] Apologies & Re: not much activity

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:28:04 -0500

Oops. I think I just send the list to the list again because of a wrong keystroke without even having composed my message. Mea culpa.

My 3.5E Xenotar is always loaded and often in my backpack but only gets used occasionally. I agree with your assessment of lab print looks, Frédéric. Not sure if our pro-lab here in Burlington still uses classic enlarger (optical/chemical) printing (certainly not for proofs). I will probably limit the Rollei pretty much to b&w work.

I had also planned to buy the 40D after selling my Rebel XT and Leica M3 (still regret that one), but the purchase got postponed because of a necessary electrical service upgrade and other affiliated complications (furnace and waterline repair!) in our house. Everything was completed yesterday but the camera budget is gone...:-( In some ways I am glad to wait with the 40D. The PopPhoto test only just came out and other systems are getting quite attractive (esp. Nikon D300 & Sony alpha 700 and rumored future pro model...).

I am temporarily using a 1970s Canon EF with 1.4/50 and 2.0/135 FD lenses. The EF was for a long time my favorite SLR next to the Canon F1 and I still enjoy at its almost perfect control layout, ease of use and solid heft. Its shutter priority automatic is not for everyone but in terms of mechanical feel there is no analog camera like it nowadays apart from maybe a Nikon F6 or Leica R9. Not a perfect comparison because the EF will work without battery!

Jan

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:50:05 -0800
From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
Both actually. Have been using my new EOS 40D but also my Rollei T and 2.8E.
I find the TLR just makes me think more about the image.
On Nov 14, 2007 11:50 AM, <fsilberman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I've not looked at the list in a while & am surprised to see so little activity! Either evertbody is busy shooting with their Rolleis or they have gone digital. Just wondering do many of you shoot with the Rollei
& shoot a digital as well? Which do you use for what? My print lab
scans everything now, can't say I like the looked of the prints as
much, as they tend to oversharpen:(
Look forward to hearing from some of you
Frédéric