[rollei_list] Re: Another Early Rollei Serial for Marc

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:43:55 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:31 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Another Early Rollei Serial for Marc

Richard,

No, my Zeiss Maximar camera has a f4.5 Tessar lens.

Jerry

Perhaps I should have specified that the name Maximar was used for both a camera and a lens. The name was used by ICA for both before it was aquired by Zeiss. Zeiss continued the camera but probably not the lens. Presumably, some Maximar cameras came with Maximar lenses. The lens is one of those included in the Zeiss Index so I have at least one prescription for it.
I have two Maximar lenses, one is in excellent condition and is the one with the blue front element. The other has a peculiar problem, the inner elements of both cells are cracked in a spider web pattern that is very deep. I have no idea what caused this. I have seen the same thing on an inner element of a Leitz Summar. I will have to see if I have a prescription for the Summar and if the two elements are made of the same type of glass. Perhaps the cause was fungus, which can etch glass, but its quite deep and the fungus etching I've seen is pitting of the front surface. Thermal shock should have affected the cemented surfaces and mechanical shock should have left some sign on the mounts, neither lens show anything, so it remains a puzzle.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx