[rollei_list] Another E6 resource in jeapordy

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:24:39 -0400

Yesterday I picked up 5 rolls worth of slides from Renaissance Creative Imaging in Pawtucket, RI. They recently moved from Providence. I had a very interesting conversation with the owner. The film processing facility stayed in providence, and she doesn't know if she'll bring it to the new location or not. As a result the first location is now for sale, and it will come complete with everything still in it, in short everything you need to process and print E6 and C4. She doesn't feel confident that future sales will justify the expense of moving the machines and putting all the environmental controls into the new place, and as a fellow business owner I can understand. The Rhode Island School of Design used to be a good stream of income for her, but it seems like they're heading towards complete digital color workflow, with basic b&w for teaching, and how many of us shoot enough slides to keep a business afloat?

Will it all come down to two or three processing labs faster than we all think? I wonder if chromes in general will disappear sooner rather than later.

Maybe someone in the area will buy the building and continue the processing. Under (very) different circumstances I would be moving in next month!

Anyway, I think there's an opportunity there for someone - pass this along to anyone who might be interested. There's still demand for E6, and the right marketing can generate a comfortable living for someone.

And if you have some E6 film to process, I highly recommend www.rciprov.com . Encourage it to remain, or get it while you can!

Elias