[rollei_list] Re: Allen Zak and SU fuel pumps

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:15:33 -0400

At 01:55 PM 10/29/2009, Allen Zak wrote:

>Eventually I did clean the contacts, but it was, after all, my
>brother's MG and responsibility.  It was he who pronounced the fuel
>pump a Lucas, and if a person can't trust his own brother, then what is
>the world coming to?  In fact, I didn't care who made the thing and
>still don't.  My idea of a sports car is something that allows the
>seats to go flat so my passenger and I can get better acquainted while
>parked.  I was never an automotive enthusiast, anyway, just someone who
>received mechanical training in the military because my name began with
>the letter Z, along with Zukowsky.  All the rest of my Fort Knox basic
>training platoon who went to Fort Dix were there for infantry training.
>  What I worked on were jeeps, 3/4 ton and 2 1/2 ton trucks, D8
>bulldozers and M113 armored personnel carriers, rising to the position
>of APC commander.  This was a non-technical job that consisted of
>sticking my head out the top hatch, sucking up lungfuls of Fort Irwin,
>California (a few miles from Death Valley) while a driver did the
>actual work.  After release from active duty, the one mechanic job I
>ever held was for NASA at the Lewis Research Center near Cleveland
>where I worked setting up and dismantling test apparatus for stressing
>materials in cryogenic baths.  A baboon could have done it.  The only
>passenger cars I worked on since were mine or those of my friends, some
>of whom remained friends afterward.

As you were, Private Zak!

Marc James Small
Lt Col, OrdC, USAR, Ret

And I just got my final set of orders transferring me to the Army Retired list. So there! (and I am now the Top Cop for the Virginia Defense Force, the unpaid auxiliary to the Virginia National Guard, and, yes, I am branch-qualified as an MP. But most of my military time was as a Loggie or as a Military Historian.

<he grins>

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!