[rollei_list] Allen Zak and SU fuel pumps

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:09:03 -0400

At 07:54 AM 10/29/2009, Allen Zak wrote:
>Normally I try to avoid religious arguments, but my own experience with
>Lucas electricals tended to sour me on the marque.  My brother used to
>drive his MGA, an automobile I learned to hate on a trip from Cleveland
>to Los Angeles, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other
>banging on the fuel pump with a wrench (spanner).  This was apparently
>a common condition, several times espied on the roads of southern
>California where the unwary drove those machines.  To be fair, my brand
>new Ford Fairlane, purchased with ill-gotten gains from playing poker
>on paydays while in the army, was even more unreliable, but I always
>attributed that to cosmic retribution.  Or Mondays at the Ford plant.

You were a mechanic and could not figure this out? First, the fuel pump was not a Lucas product, but from SU. Second, CLEAN THE CONTACTS. The US Army found the SU fuel pump almost unbeatable in the gasser M88. But you have to CLEAN THE CONTACTS every 20,000 miles or so.

Do your maintenance and all is well. Act like a jerk and ignore realities, and cars fail you. Go figure.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!