[rollei_list] Re: Agfa Aviphot chrome/ Rollei CR-200 slide film

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:08:07 +0200

Hello all from France and hello to Georges Giralt

We already have discussed about this Rollei Digibase CR-200 film on
this list,
//www.freelists.org/post/rollei_list/still-shooting-slides-Rollei-Digibase-CR-200
but there are some recent updates about the "yellow cast issue". In
French we would say: "le feuilleton continue", in reference to novels
published in newspapers, page by page, day after day ;-)

I bought some rolls of Rollei Digibase CR-200 in 135 and 120, and so
far I have exposed (and received after processing) all 35 mm stuff
plus a few 120 rolls. Consistently my first rolls both in 135 and 120
exhibited a strong yellow cast when exposed without filter, in
different cameras and processed in two different independant E6 labs
in two different European coutries.
(Incidentally, soon, the EU will have 28 member contries, and almost
as many different languages; nevertheless I chose two countries with
E6 labs close from my home town ;-))

_As far as my rolls & E6 labs are concerned_, this slide film exhibits
a strong yellow cast which does not correrspond to the official specs
of Agfa Aviphot Chrome. As for this yellow cast, I tried to elaborate
an explanation relative to its use in aerial photography, this brave
explanation is unfortunately irrelevant since the official specs for
Agfa Aviphot Chrome pointed by MACO where I bought my film specifies:
balanced for 5500K.

I have approximately solved the yellow cast problem with a 82A filter,
see this summer image,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/6322907261/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I also have bought some 82B filters but so far have made a pause in
the use of this film since I still have a stock of outdated FUJI ASTIA
to finish.

The MACO web site
http://www.macodirect.de/digibase-cr200pro-c-416_417_419_400.html

The Agfa Aviphot Chrome Specs downloadable this MACO web page
http://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/agfa_aviphot_chrome_200__en.pdf

So what is new as of April 10, 2013 ?

One German Internaut raised, again, the yellow cast issue on the US
Large Format Photography forum, and his opinion is that something is
wrong with the film sold by MACO. Another German company is selling
something which is supposed to be Agfa Aviphot Chrome, conditioned for
movie pictures; this film, available in 35 mm bulk rolls, is supposed
not to exhibit any yellow cast.

The discussion is here,
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?100081-Is-Rollei-CR-200-slide-film-aka-Aviphot-Chrome-200-sliide-film-quot-Yellow-quot

and the least I can say is that this German gentleman uses much less
diplomatic terms than me ;-)

References are made on other forums like APUG but I alredy follow too
many forums ;-)

Hence, the only thing I could suggest to Carlos, if by chance he has
in stock a 82A or 82B colour correction filter, is that he should
shoot his very first roll by making at least two exposures of the same
scene, one with filter and one without filter, send the film to any E6
lab and see what happens.

All the best!
--
Emmanuel