[rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format" (was: Austin has Unsubscribed)

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:22:34 -0400

Richard Knoppow:

> The Graflok has other advantages: Grafmatic backs are
> really too thick for a standard Graphic spring back and tend
> to pull out when changing films. The Graflok accepts the
> thickness and the locks will hold the Grafmatic in place.
> This is also true of Polaroid adaptors, they are thin enough
> to fit any spring back but also tend to pull out without the
> lock on the Graflok. In addition, the Graflok has a field
> lens built in and a removable hood/cover. Graflok backs can
> be fitted to virtually any Speed Graphic or Graflex.
> Graflex SLR's use a different back from Speed/Crown
> Graphics, Graphic holders will not work and Graflex holders
> are very hard to find. My 4x5 Super-D Graflex is fitted with
> a Graflok so I can use standard holders in it. I have
> occasionally also used the Graflex with a roll film adaptor.
> Usually with a Calumet which takes 6x7cm frames. the 190mm
> lens on the Graflex is just about right for portrait work
> with this adaptor. I made a finder mask of print mounting
> board. It has to be matched to the frame of the roll holder.
> I put some ground glass in the roll holder gate and marked
> the reflex finder to match. Actually a grease pencil works
> OK for frame lines. This holder also benifits from the lock
> strips on the Graflok back because it sticks way out on one
> side and that, combined with its weight, gives it a tendency
> to pull back slightly resulting in fog and out of focus
> pictures. A RB-67 is a better choice for this sort of work
> but the Graflex will work.

I have two Baby Speeds... one with a graflok back and the other with a
spring back. The single advantage of the graflok is the ability to compose
on the GG and then pop the rollfilm back on (when shooting from a tripod).
With the viewfinders and rangefinders this camera features, this is a
minimal advantage. The big disadvantage of the graflok is more difficulty
using sheet film holders; the spring back is smoother and faster. Also, the
rollfilm backs attack much more securely to the spring back version (with
the proper kit) with much less tendency toward light leaks.

Eric Goldstein