[rollei_list] Re: AW: Re: Rollei in a Paris Canel

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 16:53:31 -0600

At 01:22 PM 1/9/2016, Nancy Kennedy wrote:

Richard, you wondered what else they found in the canal, and here are a few links you might enjoy. If I remember correctly, they said somewhere that it is about every 10-15 years that they clean a canal.

Interesting pictures.

I lived in Leiden for a year and they have, of course, lots of canals- some for water control and the bigger ones for defense (Look at a map of Amsterdam some time . . you will see how the arc of defensive canals grew over the years).

Back to Leiden. . . I don't know how often they dredge the canals but they find not only bikes, etc. but even cars. I recal that most of the smaller canals have a rail about a foot high but not high enough to deal with a stolen or runaway car.

I had my 2.8c there but never took a photo of a drained canal. Probably should have. I remember that major finds were in the local paper.

DAW