[rollei_list] Re: AW: Re: Comparison: scanned Rolleiflex Slide vs. 100 ISO ditigal...

  • From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:35:43 -0500

all you have to do is expose once every 8.4 seconds over a 24 hour period with no bathroom breaks, and you have your 10,000 images.

-rei

On 02/12/2012 09:44 AM, Ferdi Stutterheim wrote:
HHmm,

10,000 digital images per shooting day! It must be a very long day. That Canon 5 shutter must be worn out in a fortnight. I don't believe this.

Ferdi.

Op 9-feb-2012, om 1:33 heeft CarlosMFreaza het volgende geschreven:

I add a very interesting article about costs comparison between film
vs digital photography from a  professional point of view, the title
is "Digital photography costs more than film photography":

http://www.thecreativescorner.com/2011/07/04/digital-photography-costs-more-than-film-photography-3/

Carlos

2012/2/8 CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>:
Prices from a Rollei representative in Asia: Rolleiflex Hy6 kit with
4560 film back and Xenotar AF 2.8/80 $9130; Hy6 with AFD Xenotar and
33 MP digital back $22589, similar kit with 80 MP digital back
$38431.

Difference between film kit and kit with 33 MP digital back (the
cheapest): $13459
Fuji Velvia 120 ISO 50: $5.99, E-6 per roll: $7.50= $13.49 (B&W film
and processing are cheaper BTW), it gives almost 998 processed Velvia
50 120 slide film, it means 11976 shutter cycles for the film camera
or frames.

Canon 1V 35mm film camera body only: $1699
Canon 1D Mark IV digital camera body only:       $4999
Canon 1 Ds Mark III digital camera body only: $ 6999
(B&H)

Difference 1v and Mark IV (the cheapest digital) body only= $3300
Fuji Velvia 50 36 exp. slide film $6.95 + processing= $ 14.45, it
gives 228 processed Velvia 50 35mm slide film, it means 8208  shutter
cycles for the film camera (or frames).

If film is cheaper or digital is cheaper considering only camera
prices and film and processing for film cameras will depend about the
number of shots you need for your photography for the cases described
above, anyway while a processed slide is a final product, you need to
add printing costs for a digital image to see it beyond a monitor, a
negative will also need a print, but C-41 is cheaper than E-6 and B&W
is even cheaper. OK, according you have the same digital camera more
and more time, there is a point it will be cheaper to use than a film
camera (always within my samples), but you'll never have the same
digital camera for  50 years like a Rolleiflex TLR if you are a
regular shooter.
BTW, as a member wrote , I don't shoot film because it's cheaper than
digital, I shoot film because I like it, however I also use and like
digital for some tasks.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org