[rollei_list] Re: AW: Re: Color Ultron AR 1.4/55 Made in Germany?

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 04:15:45 -0400

At 02:58 AM 5/4/2012, Dirk-Roger Schmitt wrote:

>2) Considering the multicoatings: MC, HFT, Zeiss
>T*..... All these are only trademarks and do not
>say anything about the type of coating or the
>quality. The multicoatings are  all quite
>similiar. The  difference is just the color of
>the remaining rest reflectance. This might be
>green, red, or red/blue. The color of rest
>reflectance has been selected only for marketing
>reasons, not for technical reasons. So Zeiss
>wants this dark/red colour as a "branding".  Even
>at that time, the coating designs have not more
>been developed by the optics manufacturers but
>just bought together with the coating machines
>from the coating machine industry like Balzers of
>Leybold. So you buy a machine for multicoating,
>and the supplier asks you: What colour of rest
>reflectance  you prefer? Then you get the process  with the machine.

I don't believe this to be correct. The color of a lens coatings indicates the frequencies which it most effectively serves. Zeiss is most insistent on this and there have been a few articles on this in ZEISS LENS NEWS. If there is a difference in the indicated color of the coating, then that shows that the peak effectiveness of the lens coating will also be different.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!