[rollei_list] Re: A very rare Rollei accessory

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:59:13 -0500

This item is largely unnecessary. Due to the waist level finder, the simple method of surreptitious photography with a Rollei is to stand facing about 90° away from while pointing the lens toward your true subject. Looking up occasionally to stare intently at something to your front helps. I have performed this sneaky and perhaps unethical technique countless times with almost complete success. On one occasion I was busted by a 4 year old girl whose perceptions had not matured to the point that the misdirection worked. Kids can be a tough audience for magicians in that way.

Allen Zak

On Feb 8, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Hi Carlos et al.
This device must have come in very handy for the GeStaPo spying on people while sittting in cars etc.
Jan

From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
If you look for the item 140381076841 at the auction site, you'll see
one of the rarest Rollei TLR accesories. It is the
"Winkel-Vorsatzspiegel" or "Angle mirror" accesory, it was regularly
produced from 1933 to 1934 with 28,5mm friction mount for 6x6 and 4x4
Rolleiflexes . There were prototypes in 1938  B I mount  for the
taking lens and friction mount for the viewfinder lens and in 1956
with Bayonet mount for both lenses. This accesory allowed to take
photographs "around the corner", you could point the camera following
a direction and to take the photograph at 45º/90º regarding the camera
position, to the left or to the right according the model.