[rollei_list] Re: A Zeiss-Binocular Meet?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:43:10 -0500

At 04:25 PM 8/27/2008, Marc wrote, in part:
Jerry

Do not be deliberately thick-witted and, pray, quit being snarky. The lens appears to be a genuine Zeiss product. The camera body is obviously not a Zeiss product, as Zeiss almost never makes camera bodies, but it certainly appears to be a Zeiss Ikon body, a parallel company owned by the same Foundation which also owns the Zeiss lensworks, the Schott glassworks, and the Deckel and Gauthier shutter companies.

"Schott" struck a chord with me. I think that we once had a project with Kodak and that company came up with respect to some lenses we were having designed for a Microfiche project (yes it was a long time ago).

Then today I remembered seeing it on the top of our new stove. The cook top is one of these radiant heat systems that appears black unless a heating element is on. At the back there is the note:

Schott
Ceran

Must be pretty tough stuff and probably has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion, it doesn't seem to break from heat or cold. In any case I would assume it's the same company, and there is a much larger market for range tops than lens blanks.

DAW