[rollei_list] Re: A Zeiss-Binocular Meet?

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:45:10 -0700

Marc,

Good for you! I will try to attend. Especially if I can get Peter Mattei to bring along his WWII Zeiss 9x12 cm camera with the 200mm f1.5 Sonnar. I have sent you pictures of the camera, but you and Charlie Berringer have refused to accept the existence of it.

I would love to make both of you eat the camera, but it is far too valuable for that.

Jerry

Marc James Small wrote:
I would like to organize a meeting on Zeiss and binocular studies in Chester, Virginia, over the weekend of 8/9 May 2009. This might include a camera show or it might include a side-show on Sunday to visit USS WISCONSIN to view its magnificent rangefinder gear.

Those who can arrive early on Friday can join in a late dinner at Wagstaff's, a rather pleasant steakhouse with an excellent prime rib and an unstoppable, and inexpensive, wine list. Saturday will be dedicated to presentations by various folks on Zeiss, Zeiss-Ikon, and Zeiss-derived Soviet/Post Soviet optical questions. Saturday evening will be a general dinner.

It has been a decade since Richmond has had a camera show, so I might be able to stir up the Powers-That-Be to set one up. In the alternative, we can arrange a visit to USS WISCONSIN, 80 miles away, which has some grand optical equipment.

I am interested in a roster of those who might be available to attend. There would be no charge for the basic attendance though I believe WISCONSIN does levy a fee. Beyond that, you bear your own freight, room and board are at your call, albiet we do have a bunch of nearly highway hotels which are rather inexpensive.

Let me know, pray, in private e-mail. And I am always open to suggestions from those who wish to make a presentation.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!