[rollei_list] 80mm for portraiture

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:55:23 +0100

If this has been beaten to death elsewhere, please give me a URL link (or two).

I know the technical discussion wrt distortion and such, but I was just wondering in practice what people are finding when using their TLR's for portraits. I know Avendon, Penn and many others managed to make quite many a strong image, yet people (i.e. pro's) still seem prefer a 150mm or thereabouts for the gentle 'compression' (or reduced distortion) produced.

Any thoughts as to using a TLR for portraiture? Most of my shots are either land/cityscapes or portraits, just wondering if people had any tips or advice as to getting the best out of the camera. Will a Rolleinar help, or just make matters worse (reducing the distance to the subject to fill more of the frame at the expense of added distortion)?

With the 6008 I use a 150/4 for portraits, and the 80mm for upper body shots/group shots, and the 40mm for when I want to add dramatic effect or include much of the background. The 40mm f3.5 Super-Angulon is a little gem, btw.

Cheers,
Thor