[rollei_list] 7 technical questions on scanning and profiling

  • From: andrearicci@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:15:58 +0200

Dear all,
I am trying to exploit an epson 3200/Epson 915/EZ Color Profiler set at its best
Can you kinldy answer to these few questions ?
or can you send urls of sites that respond to them?

1. What is the best way to deal with scanning resolution ?
Set it at 240-300 and ask the software (epson or silverfast) to obtain a, say, 20 cm x 20 cm image at 300 dpi or scan at max quality (3200) and then resize?
expert advice (Norman Koren) suggests the latter option
If one resizes at 20x20 cm with sampling you get to send to the printer a huge file at 800dpi or more (which is - unless you tell me otherwise - beyond the printer capacity)
If you downsample you "should" loose information, don't you agree?

2. Do you scan BW as positive and then you invert and apply curves/ histograms?
- do you use Silverfast NEGAFIX technology instead ?

3. Do you scan color film as negative and use negafix with silverfast or you scan it as a positive and then you invert ?

4. When do you apply ICC?
- with slides only (cause you have EZ color or other color profiler device for slides)
- with BW (ICC profiles you have downloaded from sites like permajet)
- with Color film as well ? (in this case where would you find an ICC profile to print the Fuji films for example?)

5. There is no way to profile color films I was told by a top French color expert, do you agree ?
- the sole fix to the problem I know is Silverfast's NEGAFIX technology, do you confirm?

6. Why should one drop EPSON scanner drivers to adopt Silverfast Ai ?
- you can scan at 48 bits with epson and then the rest can be done with photoshop...don't you agree?
- does silverfast achieve something more at acquisition level, that is not achievable using epson sware?

7. Is it better to achieve sharpening at acquisition level or within photoshop ?
- at acquisition level which software sharpens better: epson standard drivers or silverfast ?

Many thanks for your support

Andrea