[rollei_list] Re: 3.5F with Rollei 128BC flash

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:27:06 +0100

Elias

A number of 'older' flash units that just have a sync cord or single centre
contact may have trigger voltages up to capacitor voltage, ie 300V. These
cannot safely be used with a camera which has electronic circuitry. A Wein
safesync is a possible option to reduce the trigger voltage.

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

I have a P&K ring flash which was listed as an accessory for the SL66 (&
Hasselblad) running off a Metz 402/CT60 battery pack and the trigger voltage
is about 95v. I would not want to use that with a 6000 or 3000 camera
without some 'safety barrier' With a purely mechanical shutter contact,
spark erosion on the contacts can be the only damage with prolonged use.
My 8 year old Metz 45CL4 is now revamped and listed as a 45 CL4 Digital. I
guess they have dropped the trigger voltage but I presume my old one would
still work through a standard SCA 3000 adapter on a digital camera without
detriment????

John