[rollei_list] Re: 3.5E and 2.8F questions

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 09:26:28 -0700

It should not be too difficult to find an original ground glass for the E. Then to brighten it use a Rolleigrid. I have one in my 2.8E and it works fine. The fancy screens do not really make the screen brighter, they distribute the light better preventing the corners and edges from being dark. That gives the illusion that the entire screen is brighter. The Rolleigrid has a clear circle in the center that allows easy focusing. It just drops on over the ground glass and is held by a clip arrangement inside the hood. Note that if you use a Rolleikin you must remove the Rolleigrid to use the finder mask. Not a big deal. I have rolleigrids for all my Rolleis except the original. There are no clips in the early Automats but the Rolleigrid will still fit on the ground glass and does not fall out easily. Works OK in the one I cobbled together from two broken cameras.

On 7/18/2015 1:25 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your answers. I will probably just cut the splentrings. Need to find strong enough "short-beak wire cutter" though (you learn new words every day).

Maybe I will leave the gridded, split-center screen in the 2.8F. It snaps into focus quite nicely it's just a bit darker than the Maxwell. The Maxwell has been a good bright replacement for the original murky screen in the 3.5E but it is tricky to focus (I always focus with the magnifier).

Will pick up the test cool at noon today. It will be interesting if the meter gave me good readings. It looks like its weak at the bright end of the light range.

SL66 came back with new crank, stop-down lever, new mirror lever and used brighter screen installed and a bag of removed old parts (nice touch). Will probably send Mr. Bruer the 2.8F later this year.

Jan

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx