[rollei_list] Re: 2.8F test roll results

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:36:56 -0700

I opened up my 2.8E and looked at how the mechanism works. I used a dummy spool as I described on the top roller so that the counter wheel would be operated.
When the back is opened the counter and feeler are re-set. The rollers should be open and the counter on zero. Nothing happens when the crank is turned except the take up spool is turned and the shutter is cocked. The crank can be turned continuously and does not stop.
When the back is closed it pushes on a lever on the side bottom between the take up spool and the feeler rollers. When this is pushed down it closes the rollers. The close with a snap so its definite. When the thick part of the film goes through the rollers they are pushed apart and come apart completely, again with a snap. This sets the counter at No.1 and starts the metering mechanism. The rollers do not press on the film once its started.
Now, this camara has been sitting in its bag for some time and when I first started the test the counter went to No.4. I don't know how I did this. In any case, after letting it wind to No.12 and finish it did not do this again. This camera was serviced by Harry Fleenor at least ten years ago and has worked perfectly ever since. I brought it in to him because I had just bought it and found it was not re-setting the shutter reliably. I had a shot at fixing it myself but quickly determined the mechanism was worn and beyond my skills. This is a different mechanism from the metering but he overhauled everything. There is an adjustment for the thickness of film that will trip the feeler. If its not correct the feeler never trips so you wind the entire roll through without stopping since the camera thinks its all leader. This does not seem to be what is happening here. I would investigate what happens when the lever in the case is pushed in. I found just now that a business card was not thick enough but two or three of them should do it. The feelers should snap shut and then come open again.
Working this a few times without film may get it working but it sounds to me like some part of the mechanism is sticking suggesting it was not cleaned or lubricated properly.

On 7/19/2015 7:48 AM, Richard Urmonas wrote:

Jan,

If I am understanding the problem correctly, the film sensor is
permanently tripped, so it does not wait for the tape before it starts
counting, but starts immediately. It should just be an adjustment to
the feeler mechanism. Less likely it could also be that something is
wrong with the mechanism and it does not return to the "new film"
position.

Richard Urmonas

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 02:16:17 -0400
Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, I meant "test roll" of course. It's the silly editor in the
webmail version of my email program. Will try to proof-read this one.

Well, I did 2 test rolls in the "new 2.8F" by nos. One Portra 160
at the store and one Agfapan 100 (8 minutes in 1:25 Rodinal) at home.
Detected the following unpleasant problem: pictures start at shot 3
or 4 right on the taped beginning of the film. I am loosing 3 or 4
images on every roll.
Otherwise sharpness is excellent, as I expected from the Planar, and
even the built-in meter seems to be quite good.
So, its back to the store on Monday to either return the camera
(2-week return warranty) or get a break on the price for the repair
(150-200 Euros?). Would prefer the latter.

Makes me re-appreciate my Xenotar 3.5E, which never had a film issue.

Jan

Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 03:39:38 -0500
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 3.5E and 2.8F questions
From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>

What is a "test cool?"
On Jul 18, 2015 3:25 AM, "Jan Decher" <jdecher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

WB6KBL