[rollei_list] Re: 2.8C shutter speed

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:22:39 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kovacs" <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:02 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 2.8C shutter speed

I should clarify - changing the speeds between B-1/250 does not really cause appreciable wear on the speed ring cammed surface in my opinion. I would not hesitate to change these speeds after cocking - the camera was designed to be operated this way, except 1/500 in the early models.

I agree with this. The only problem is the booster spring. Going to a slower speed from 1/500th is probably safe but trying to force it up to that speed is taking a chance on the jamming I wrote about. If the end of the spring that contacts the cam is perfectly lined up it won't slip but if not it can be forced under or over the cam. There is no permanent damage from this but it requires some disassembly to release the spring.
BTW, I find it interesting that the first Compurs had clock motor type springs. When the rim set version came out the main spring was changed to a helical type (screen door) spring. Then they went back to the spiral spring for the LVS shutters.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx