[rollei_list] Re: 2.8 80mm Opton-Tessar

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:18:14 -0800

Carlos,
I think this is more a speculation on your part rather than a fact. The
1930s in Germany were a very depressed period. Unless F&H had a lot of
excess capital I find this ordering 5,000 lenses unusual.

Peter K

On 11/15/06, Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marc, you wrote: "...I have no explanation for the
existence of the Prewar 2.8/8cm CZJ Tessars --
the first Rolleiflex batch was of only 2 lenses
and was completed on 2 FEB 1938;  the other
Rolleiflex batches date from the first half of
1939...." and now you ask  "Why would F&H order 5,000
lenses which didn't  meet their needs?"

My answer was and is that Rollei used the two 1938
lenses to develop the 1939 2.8 prototype, and Rollei
needed the lenses for the camera series production,
the 1939 prototype was ready for production and that
was the reason to buy the lenses on 1939, Rollei
needed the lenses but due to the war Rollei couldn't
obtain the tooling to manufacture the camera for the
market. The 1939 prototype and that Rollei had
projected to manufacture the prototype for the market
on 1939 are facts, the 1939 lenses batch bought from
Zeiss for this camera production is my conclusion,
and according Prochnow the lens was recomputed to meet
F&H quality needs and then Prochnow has to do too.-

All the best
Carlos

--- Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

> Why would F&H order 5,000 lenses which didn't
> meet their needs?  I doubt that this was the
> case.  My suggestion -- that F&H found the 1936
> tweaking of the 1931 design for Zeiss Ikon
> acceptable -- makes sense.  F&H was a company and
> had to make a profit, something they neglected in
> the later 1960's to their dismay.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!