[rollei_list] Re: 220 vs 120 film flatness

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:27:26 +0200

CarlosMFreaza a écrit :
Carl Zeiss did a research about the film flatness using 220 and 120 film:

http://tinyurl.com/35kmksu

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9/ContentsWWWIntern/134AEE504E89CD50C12569620039712C

Carlos ! And you could survive for 10 years without using 220 rollfilm, since apparently you missed this article by Zeiss dated year 2000 ? ;-);-)

The problem apparently came with some fast lenses, in the style of f/2 designed for the Contax 645 camera. With our beloved Rollei TLR stopped down to their best aperture, f/8 or f/11, you can sleep quietly : the allowed depth-of-focus is plus or minus 8 to 11 times yout favourite circle of least confusion ; I know that you use something like 25 microns to compute your depth-of-field tables, in order to get images in 6x6 that are top-class, it means that you can allow flatness defects of about plus or minus 200 to 300 microns.

If the flatness problem was really an issue, Chris Perez could never find on-film resolutions close to 100 cy/mm with a good old 120 rollfilm on either a Rollei TLR or an Hasselblad with a 120 film back...
http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html

It means that the actual sharpness available with a well-tued Rollei TLR at f/8 is above 90 cy/mm, i.e. you could even choose a circle of least confusion of about 10 microns for you depth-of-field tables !

Moreover as far as the Rollei TLR is concerned, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that there is no special position of the film pressure plate for 220 rollfilm ; it means that without its backing paper, 220 film is "floating" between the plate and the film gate, with a spacing designed for 120 (film + paper) thinckness... except for Rolleis with the glass pressure plate. (this is anotther story..)

all the best !
--
Emmanuel