[rollei_list] Re: 1960-70s Brazil in Rolleiflex pictures

  • From: Don Williams <3237daw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:45:56 -0500

At 07:40 PM 10/31/2018, José Manoel Pavoski Neto  wrote, in part:

"Richard, what I'll say might sound heretic, but I've re-cemented it myself".

I admire your courage and skill. I have a complete Exakta system inherited from my dad and the

Angenieux telephoto is showing what I believe is separation, although it might be something else. I need to sell the camera, all three lenses, the bellows, etc., as a set but the lens is now a liability and I don't think I will risk disassembly. Still looking at options.

[Even worse, with respect to my lens skills, is that I have a Balomatic 755 projector for which I disassembled the projection lens for cleaning and am not sure all the elements are in the correct locations and orientations. Top this off with the fact that my undergraduate degree is in Physics. I understand lens theory but am clearly not a practical optical engineer.] I've thought of sending it to Dick

Knoppow to ask him to have a look. Actually, I will be going to San Diego in November and I think he is within driving range from there.

Well, back on topic, lens cementing. During the time I had my Rolleimarin I wanted some gentle (CC-30R and such) filters. Up to 20-30 Ft. underwater they can do a fairly good job in correcting color. Beyond that it's flash-only or accept the natural color for long shots.

I worked for a company that, among other things made capacitors. Than means they had vacuum systems. I got some Kodak gel filters and bought some thin glass rounds from a company once famous for movie effects filters, Harrison and Harrison, apparently no longer in business. I was able to pull a vacuum on some clear epoxy, drop the assembly together, and had some very nice "glass" waterproof filters. They never got wet so waterproof wasn't an issue. They fit perfectly in the Rolleimarin filter turret. I made equivalent filters for my light meters but they were simply gel covered with available laminating plastic. Using the same filter on the lens and meter did a perfect exposure setting.

Beyond that I will have to look for someone to have a look at the Exakta lens. My guess is that fixing that one lens will cost more than the whole Exakta system is worth.

Does anyone know of a company which can take a look at the Angenieux lens?

Regards,

DAW

*Just saw Richard's note on lens cementing. Very instructive but I still don't intend to open the Angenieux.

For folks who understand, not a single "Trick or Treat" person tonight.