[rollei_list] Re: 1400 RES flash - what capacitor?

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:14:22 +0100

John.

Although I am not an expert, tinkering has given me a bit of knowledge
and others will probably know more than me. ;-) Obviously watch out when
inside a flashgun, the voltages involved can 'bite'.

I have a Beta 4 flash in which the capacitor has gone. It does whine
when turned on because that is the sound of the oscillator, which causes
the voltage to fluctuate thereby allowing the voltage to be increased up
to about 300v DC through the transformer. The rating of the capacitor is
probably written on the side but physical size is usually directly
related to capacity and also whether it will fit inside the flash gun. A
smaller rated capacitor will just give a smaller flash output. It must
be a photo flash capacitor because they are designed to be instantly
discharged. A standard electrolitic capacitor will not take the strain.
I took a capacitor out of a 'throw away' camera and it worked fine
except for the lower light output. Photo flash capacitors are available;
finding exactly the right one is the problem. They were often made
specifically to fit inside what space was available in the housing.

If you say the flash does not whine, it may be another component
problem.

Best wishes

John Wild