[rollei_list] Re: 135 vs. 135

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:07:35 -0600 (CST)

There's another advantage to the Rolleikin that noone has mentioned and that I think it its biggest advantage. When you use the transparent amber viewfinder mask, set on the pins on the parallax adjusting bars under the screen, you see the whole 6x6 image, with the 24x36 part bright and clear and all the surrounding area of the image dimmed by the amber color of the mask, but still completely visible. This is the same effect and gives the same advantage as the Leica vf gives, showing what's outside the image area and what may be about to come into the image area. It works very well with both the waistlevel finder and the prism, and the image is always completely adjusted for parallax in both position and size, which is more than the Leica can manage.

On Nov 17, 2009, at 7:45 AM, Elias Roustom wrote:

Slow, cumbersome, marvelous, fun, whatever...

Actually, it speeds up the operation of the TLR. The entire 24x36 frame is visible with the viewfinder loupe, so you can compose and shoot as you have the focus under full control. Without the loupe, and with the mask in place the viewfinder is bright and contrasty. Advancing the film requires a button to be pushed for each frame, but the cranking is a bit faster than for roll film. Where it may be a little slower than roll film, and lot slower than an SLR is in the loading and unloading of the film, but I haven't been in the awkward situation of having to change film quicker than photo opps disappeared since I shot high shcool football games in the early 80s.

I think it should be a requirement that everyone on the Rollei User Group use the Rolleikin at least once. : )

Elias

On Nov 17, 2009, at 12:15 AM, Marvin wrote:

Elias, isn’t the Rolleikin a slow cumbersome device for 35mm.
Marvin.