[rodgersorgan] performance indication

  • From: "Carlo Pietroniro" <organist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rodgers Organs" <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:23:16 -0400

there's a performance indication written on the 1st page of "A Gothic
Cathedral", and while I understand the rules of grammar, and the english
language, something here doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Can
someone please help me understand this.........

"The effectiveness of this piece depends on the gradual crescendo from pp to
full organ. The secret of this is the judicious and all but imperceptible
diminuendi in the course of the crescendo so that the general effect is one of
continued piling up of tone until it becomes a veritable avalanche of sound."

Does this mean that during the crescendo, the dynamic (volume) should remain
low, THEN open the boxes at the end? Otherwise, it's impossible to have a
'diminuendi' and a 'crescendo' at the same time. Mind you, I tend to think of
'crescendo' as an increase in volume, whereas it really means 'to add stops'
(hence the crescendo pedal).

carlo pietroniro

Read The Comprehensive Guide to Music for the
Rodgers PR-300 at www.frogmusic.com

Includes music from Rodgers, LifeWay and Frog Music Press

go to our website at www.frogmusic.com/rodgers.html