[rodgersorgan] Re: dust in organs

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:18:31 -0700

Jane asked: How much dust actually gets in the keys when the cover is left =
open?  And how bad can that truly become?   I really have no concept and =
I'm looking for some good stories.

A while ago I purchased a used Rodgers 330 from a church. I would say you =
probably wouldn't believe how dirty an organ can get. The keys were so =
dirty I cringed when I played it first. I used a damp, clean, white, =
cotton cloth to clean the keys (including the sides between the keys that =
you rub when you press them), the drawknobs, and the rocker tabs just =
after I got the organ. The rag was virtually black afterwards--it was so =
dirty I didn't bother to wash it, I just tossed it.

What I don't understand is how an organist can tolerate playing on dirty =
keys! (Toccata in the key of Dirt?)

Best regards,
Charlie

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com