[rodgersorgan] Voicing....

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:27:56 -0500

A gentle word of caution to anyone who is considering taking the back off a
Rodgers...or any organ.

(Reminds me of a dog training book chapter about how to teach your dog to jump
over
fences.  Started with : "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS?"

Do you really want to do this?

I am cautioning you all a bit because I went on a service call on a large analog
Rodgers that was an absolute tonal mess.

The organist told one of the other organists not to call us, he could take the
back
off and make any changes that were needed.  When the organ back was removed we
found
well-used dog-eared copies of the voicing charts for the organ.

Why was the organ a mess?  The adjustments that had been made did not take into
consideration the inter-related  nature of the tonal resources of the organ.
And in
addition factory set (marked DO NOT ADJUST) settings were also disturbed.

Here's my suggestion for the day:

1. If it is you own personal instrument, before you make any adjustments inside
the
organ call your tech and ask if the tech feels that these are adjustments you
can
make on your own.

2. If it is not your instrument, you may be much better off having the tech
come out
and work with you to see if the tonal changes you want can be done. It will be
faster and save you from the embarrassment  of having to inform the  church
properties board that the bill they are going to have to pay to a tech to get
the
organ working right again is due to your adjustments....it happens!

noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa