[rodgersorgan] Re: Update from a silent list reader

  • From: "william king" <wmjking@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:45:05 -0500

Within the past few weeks I've purchased a Roland XV synth for my
Rodgers, and have not yet begun to work with the editing software.  I'd
be anxious to learn some "tricks of the trade," including, for one, how
to assign channels for the manuals and pedal clavier.  Actually, I have
two MIDI sound modules (the Roland XV-5080 and a slightly older E-Mu
Proteus 1000 module), but so far -- despite setting their MIDI channels
so that one is channel 1 and the other is channel 2 -- I can get the one
that's set for Ch2 to play on the Swell (which is intended), but both
sounds play on the Great (which is not intended)! I haven't gotten
either to play anything other than a rumbling hum on Ch3 for the Pedal
division, and I tried moving the octaves up thinking that it was just
playing a low-frequency sound!  Likewise, I haven't been able to get the
combination action on the Rodgers to control the XV-5080 patches other
than the General Midi specs -- none of the extra voices.  Readily I
admit I'm a novice to MIDI on the Rodgers, but I've used MIDI digital
pianos for a while.  Lately, without delving into the XV editing
software yet, I've been wondering if it's even possible to do what I'd
like to do:  a) use both sound modules on different MIDI channels to
send two or more sounds to different manuals and the pedal; and b) use
the Rodgers pistons to send the MIDI change commands for the various
sounds, so that I don't have to pause between phrases to turn a knob or
two for the next part of the piece!

Any advice?

Bill King
wmjking@xxxxxxxxxxxxx