[rodgersorgan] Re: Two Questions

  • From: Ed Wilson <actionkbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:41:31 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,
The model number for the organ should be on a plate under the keybed... you
have to lay on the pedal board and look upward.  Other things to narrow down
the model number if that is no longer there,... does the organ have a "stop
rail" tab?  Drawknobs or tabs?
As for the speaker, the most likely problem is that the foam "surround"
(suspension) on the woofer has deteriorated.... if you look at the cone, you
will probably see it hanging in free space.  A good speaker repairman can
replace just the surround, and it will go for more years than the first go
round, since the materials have improved.
Regards,
Ed
 Mark <ksdd43@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all. I'm starting to play again (after taking a
few months off when I moved in February - first time
in 35 years I've taken any time off) at a Catholic
Church here in town that has a Rodgers organ.
Unfortunately, I can't tell what the model is. I know
it's analogue, but I don't know the model number.
There is nothing on the console to indicate the model
and the owners manual seems to have disappeared. It
is a two manual, with about 20 preset pistons and I
believe that there are 8 or 9 toe pistons. It was
designed to add a few ranks of pipe on a Positiv, but
that wasn't done.

We have two issues with the organ right now and I
really would like to figure out a couple of things.
The organ was installed new in 1987 when the current
church was built. However, with two 16 foot stops on
the pedal and a 32 foot stop, there is less bass in
the pedal than I had on the 705 model I played at my
last church (which was also built in '87).

Also, for these three stops mentioned, we currently
cannot use them if playing the F down to C at the
bottom of the pedal range because there is a speaker
somewhere up above that is rattling - like it's a
broken speaker. The pastor said they were looking
at a new sound system and one of the organists said
the organ is piped through the sound system. AGHHH!!!
I've always heard that you didn't want to use the
same speakers for organs and electronic pianos that
you use for voice reproduction. If this is true,
could this be one of the reasons that there is no bass
on the pedals to speak of? When I was playing the
closing hymn this a.m., I was extremely disappointed
that I couldn't hear the pedals even though I was
playing them (with 8' stops and higher).

Here's hoping some of you more knowledgable types on
the list can help me. Thanks.

Mark Wunder
St. Matthew's Church
Topeka, KS

faith.yahoo.com

A MIDI Musical Christmas 2002
An Angelic Christmas 2001
Music for the PR-300 and Organ Solo at Frog Music Press

go to our website at www.frogmusic.com