[rodgersorgan] Speaker placement and other questions

  • From: "Hartley Mays" <HMays22@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:45:41 -0500

Good Morning!

We're completing work on an addition to the house whose main feature is a music
room for my piano, electric keyboard (Technics) and, most important, the
Rodgers 535 organ and PR300S.  Since we have the opportunity to do some wiring
for speakers (as well as midi cables) behind the dry wall, I'm trying to figure
out what do with regard to speakers ahead of time.  The room is 18 ft by 23 ft,
and the ceiling slopes from 12 ft along one of the 23 ft walls to 7 1/2 ft at
the other.  I have several questions to which I'd welcome any advice,
information, or pointers to websites you might have:
1. What are the pros and cons of traditional two speakers vs. four speakers
with the new quadraphonic surround sound features?
2. What's the best height to place the speakers?  If two, I assume they'd be
mounted on the 12 ft wall?
3. Is the best placement right in the corners of the room, or at some distance
from the corner?
4. I currently have two Rodgers speakers that are about 18 inches high.  (Can't
find the model number anywhere, Jerry Dulski might know.)  They are good
midrange and treble, but very weak bass.  (I used to have two very large
Baldwin speaker cabinets for the bass, but no longer do.)  Should I get
separate bass speakers?  Or better multipurpose?  Or some combination?  Any
suggestions on makes, models, sources?
5. I need to get long midi cables (about 20-30 ft) to run from the office to
the keyboards, also a midi patch bay, and some type of mixer control box for
the speakers.  Any suggestions on the best web source to look for all three?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
Hartley Mays
Cincinnati, Ohio