[rodgersorgan] Practice Ideas

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:00:31 -0400

Noel:

I think it depends on the type of learning style the person is used to.

Good sight readers/"plunge-right in" types may just want to start playing 1, 2
and 3 voices with/without the practice files. (Can they turn everything off but
the metronome?)

Slow learner types may actually want to play along with the sounding voice on
another manual (difficult for multi-manual pieces unless they have a 3-manual
organ).

Analytical types will want to follow the performance or practice versions along
with the score, making notes in pencil as they go about hand divisions,
registrations, manual changes.

Those with a music theory bent may find it helpful to analyze cadences, changes
of texture, fugue subjects, countersubjects, key modulation and the like.

Marking techniques I've used during the learning process: circle notes,
especially in the pedal, that you tend to play wrong. Mark significant breaks
like repeated notes or beginnings and endings of chorales or fugue subjects.

The page turning problem: I used to make tableaux out of 9-12 somewhat reduced
pages rather than fool with the pages. When using a page turner, though, I was
sort of paranoid in performance, so I had the turner sit in an adjacent chair
and would nod to him/her during the last couple of measures before the turn.

Not everyone has the same amount of patience, so may enjoy using various
registrations during practice. I often found it necessary but surprisingly
relaxing and useful to practice loud pieces softly.

Just some random thoughts to add to your excellent suggestions below.

Jim

--
noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa

Soon to be published for the Rodgers Organ: Sommer Sonaten für Orgel - Summer
Sonatas for Organ and MIDI Orchestra!