[rodgersorgan] Re: Pitches, I meant Pitches!

  • From: Arlene Jutting <ajutting@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:38:49 -0500

Hi:  Here's another good sight-reader and fast typist who has great
difficulty memorizing.  Even fouled up on my college Senior recital.
 I've often wondered why memorization was so important. I've been
playing for 70 years and have accompanied more university choirs,
community choirs, church choirs, and soloists than I can count as well
as playing for university and community theater musical productions.
I've always been able to follow the music and the director, soloist, or
small group without memorization skills.

How about improvisation and transposition.  I for one find this very
difficult.  Any other good sight-readers have this problem?

Also would like to throw something else in the mix.  How many of you are
challenged by other equipment that requires finger skills.  For
instance, needlework of any kind,  transcribing text to Braille using a
Braille typewriter, or (before computers) using special equipment to set
type, etc.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on a computer when they
first came out so I could start figuring out how to operate it andtry
to  "think" like it did.  The capabilities of the Trillium and the MIDI
also fasincate me, and I'm frustrated because I don't have time to learn
all the "ins and outs" as quickly as I'd like to.  For instance, right
now I'm having trouble accessing the drum set so I can play it on the
organ.  Help would be appreciated.

One more question?  How many of you musicians, sight-readers or not, are
trained or have experience in the sciences -- chemistry, physics,
medicine?  Just curious.

I have learned a lot from this group and greatly appreciate the good
advice, the help, the suggestions for music, and the funny experiences.
 Many, many thanks to you all.
Arlene

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com