[rodgersorgan] Re: Patriotic Music

  • From: Mark Huth <pdx_36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 08:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

> Forwarded from Matt. G.
>
> Since it's getting near the fourth of July, I was curious was
> patriotic music everybody's playing on their organs this
> holiday.  Anybody have any recommendations of good pieces to
> play?

Well, I've had ideas about learning the Ives "Variations on
'America'," but haven't tackled this gem yet.  To be honest, the
best piece I've found is actually a piano piece, Beethoven's
"Variations on the National Song" (which is "My Country 'Tis of
Thee" or "God Save the King/Queen"; take your pick).

Does anyone else know this piece?

It is for piano, however, the bulk of it is played with no need
for sostenuto, so it translates to organ quite effectively.
I've played the entire thing with manuals only; I've also added
pedal ad lib to numerous spots and found that works well.

Of course, those of you who are also pianists and have
congregations who appreciate this offering from time to time, it
works well on piano, too!  There are very diverse treatments and
you can pick and choose variations if you wish.  I highly
recommend this particular piece.

Mark

http://sbc.yahoo.com