[rodgersorganusers] Re: Old Analogs

  • From: Ralph Cullen <rcullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:04:22 +1300

At 08:44 AM 11/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>I have a Rodgers 330E drawknob organ in my home.  I
>can state unequivically that I could blind fold ANYONE
>without prior knowledge of the installation and, after
>playing it, challenge them whether the organ is pipes,
>analog, or digital.  I can guarantee that few, if any,
>would guess analog or digital.

I haven't contributed to this discussion, and am rather reluctant, but....
you surely have to be joking Bradley....
I have to say without mentioning any brands, that Rodgers Analogue organs
were certainly the most wonderful electronic organs in their day, and
certainly better than the "Computer Organ" (of similar vintage to the
Rodgers LTG organs) I played recently for a service in another church.
However: The very nature of the tone generation system and unit keying
demanded that the mixtures were all out of tune, and very harsh as a
result. As well as that, the sterility associated, not with ENSEMBLE (for
it was the best) but with tonal colour made the organs of that time sound
very blah, as comparted with properly tuned and voiced PDI technology.
There is no doubt that they were fine organs, but compared to pipes??????
Cheers,
Ralph Rodgers fan from the early seventies.

If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!

Shop for Playing Guides to your Rodgers Organ at Frog Music Press