[rodgersorganusers] Re: New Organ Blues

  • From: <geanderssons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:27:36 -0500

The original question was should the factory publish a
 price for the new sound module.  My vote is yes.  I would
like to have some idea if this is something I can afford
before I bother my local rep.  If he wants to discount it
or not in order to help move the purchase along is
something for us to work out.

As to the rest of the discussion, I'm also a local church
treasurer and CFO for a not-for-profit.  We just completed
a church building project. We gave our architect specific
direction regarding budget, to which he responded much as
Al has below.  He gathered in all the wishes, put them
into a design, and was resistant when asked about price
along the way.  When the building went out for bid, it
came in 50% over what we had agreed upon.  By then,
members of the congregation were invested in various
aspects of the project.  We eventually ended up somewhere
in the middle, but it was painful, and we have more debt
than I believe is wise.  Our architect improved his
commission, but feels he did a lot of extra work to earn
it.  From my perspective, don't ask me to recommend him to
another congregation.

Fortunately, our local Rodgers dealer, worked with us on
balancing price and need from the start.  He was very up
front about pricing -- and kindly let us know what we
could afford and where we would need to make compromises.
 This did take some time on both sides, but moved along.
 When we were given the final price, there were some
adjustments, but they were relatively minor.  We are very
happy with the results and look forward to working with
him in the future.

It helps immesurably to have some sense of price early.
 That way no one's time is wasted.  This is particularly
true of ancillary items like a sound module, and is
probably true of self-contained organs used at home.

So much for my 2 cents worth and why.

George Andersson
St. Louis, MO
535 and PR300S at home,