[rodgersorganusers] Re: New Organ Blues

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:00:15 -0800

I feel compelled to rise to Al's defense. I didn't see that Al indicated =
it took a long time
 to build a relationship, nor that he has any disregard for others' time.

But it's pretty clear to me that much of the complication of purchasing an =
organ
for a church comes down to the fact that it is a decision made by a =
committee, rather than by an
individual. Committees really complicate this process.=20

As such, the process really is about as easy as is possible, based on the =
issues involved. It
really is, as Al said, a "project", not just a commodity product. A dealer =
is being unfair to himself
and to his customer if he quotes a price before he knows all the details =
involved. If he were to
"low ball" the quote to garner interest, he'd lose the sale if the final =
price came out to twice the
price because of installation requirements.

And if he quote high to cover all possible costs, he'd lose many sales on =
situations where the
installation was simple.

Having purchased organs (for my home) at various times from both Rodgers =
and Allen, I can say
that good dealers make the process easy and quick, and I readily got =
pricing on my first visits.=20

Charlie

>>> koboe_37315@xxxxxxxxx 10-28-03 6:58 AM >>>

my question is why does it have to take so long to build a realtionship?why=
 should there be such a disregard for others time. organ committees are =
made of people who are volunteers that truely care about the organ their =
church will purchase.
why couldn't rodgers make this process easier. every company goes through =
a time when, to make purchasing more people friendly they do something.. =
perhaps a posted price list would be a people friendly thing to do.
one would not be asking the price of the installation, say, this organ =
price  does not include total installation charges and explain how you =
determine installation charges with the price list.
I personally resent feeling manipulated as a buyer. that's why we chose =
rodgers.
what I hear you saying is that you do many wonderful things for a =
potential customer in the hopes that whatever the price may be they will =
purchase from you.
I have learned it is always smart to tell the price of your product right =
up front. that way=20
your customer will hear what you are telling them through the rest of the =
sales pitch.

Al Murrell <tam6111949@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kathy, I have been selling Rodgers for about 31 years.

As part owner of the largest Rodgers dealership in the
country, we do not quote over the phone, we do not
post prices and we don't even think in terms of a
retail price list. After evaluating each project,
working thru the process with each committee,
determining their needs, our price sheet is the dealer
wholesale prices. After determining our cost for the
specific project, we then determine the selling price.
We do not work from a retail price sheet. We build a
trust relationship with each customer/church, they get
to know us, our service, and what other services we
offer in the form of workshops, concerts, training
(unlimited), etc. It is through this relationship
building that we don't run into issues about our
pricing.

Al