[rodgersorgan] Re: New Member

  • From: "Stephen M. Swanson" <familyz28@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:09:13 -0600

Thanks Noel, Noel, Fred, Clark and all!!!

I believe, though I can't defend this with any true authority, that the
Essex series is digital... but one of the first digitals as its production
ended in the late 80's.  (I believe my church was the last to get one before
discontinuing the series.  One of the selling points of the Essex (to my
understanding) was that it was one of the first organs to have MIDI
available on the organ... however MIDI was still rather obscure at that
point (the PR300 hadn't even been developed) and no one has pushed to expand
the organ's capabilities and potential since its installation (until I
started nosing around!).  It wasn't until I started thumbing through the
manual and saw the organ had MIDI capability that I began to push for the
PR300... I've taken it on as a personal mission to fund the purchase of it
myself as our church is undergoing a separate capital campaign for an
elevator and other necessities.  I'm talking to our Rodgers representative
now and hopefully I'll be able to convince Church's trustees to approve the
release of those funds early so we can get it sooner rather than later.
2/3s of them happen to be in choir, so I probably won't have any trouble
persuading them!!!

Sunday I was all bubbly with excitement showing our organist the group's
archive and he seemed pretty excited about it. I don't know if he's joined
yet or not, but I'll definitely keep on him to do so!

As far as lessons are concerned, I was going to approach my former
instructor (she's a member of the Blackhawk Chapter of the AGO) to see if
she would be willing/able to take me on again, however I wasn't planning on
that until after the 15th of April (I'm a CPA).  I was looking at something
more individually oriented in the meantime... possibly literature on theory,
history, registration techniques, etc. Does anyone have suggestions as far
as those are concerned?

Thanks!
SMS