[rodgersorgan] Re: Music library databases

  • From: Doug Brickett <dbrickett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:10:03 -0600

Arlene-

I've been cataloging my music in my personally-designed database for
the last 20 years or so.  When I set it up, I created several
different, related (as in relational database) tables.  I keep data in
the following tables with relationships between them:
Hymntunes
Hymn Titles
Composers
Music Pieces (individual pieces of music)
Books
Magazines
Purchase Orders
Scriptures
Instruments
Seasons
Services (based on date)
(and maybe some more that I can't remember off the top of my head)

Since I built them as relational tables, I can, for example, go to a
specific scripture and find out which tunes reference that scripture,
then what pieces of music reference those tunes.  I have enjoyed doing
it but it's been a LOT of work setting it up.  Maintaining it isn't
bad, though.  If you like, I could send you details (once I remember
where I put the database design).  I use FileMaker on the Macintosh but
FileMaker is also available for the PC platform and there are many
other database products out there, as well.

I seem to remember, from the AGO convention, that someone has a
commercial product out there to do this but I don't remember the name
or anything about it.  It might be worth asking the folks at
www.agohq.org if they remember anthing about it.

Doug Brickett

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com