[rodgersorgan] Re: Midi on Rodgers 950

  • From: noel jones <zimbelstern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:35:14 -0400

Ken:

Good question, first time it's come up.

I have discovered that in playing SMF files on occasion one can over come the
ability of an organ
to digest all the information we are shoving down its throat and it stops.
Once you have removed
the offending file by turning it back on, it runs fine.  I guess a little
message should pop up and
say, "Bet you won't try that again?" but it doesn't.  We'd probably try anyway!

I have done this also with a PR-300 which will gleefully keep on sending more
and more info until
an organ stops in frustration!  It appears that within the framework of MIDI
there is no protocol
like on printer communications from the old teletype days in which the receiver
can regulate the
flow of information...once its there more can be sent.

This is an interesting issue and I wonder if we will be hearing more about it
as the organ world
gets deeper and deeper into the use of MIDI.  One major difference between the
PR-300 and PR-300S
is said to be memory capacity.

As an aside, I visited the website of a major music publisher that stated that
the organ at Notre
Dame - Paris - plays all day courtesy of a Roland Sequencer.  I know that a
computer control system
(with voice recognition) was installed about 10 years ago, with the organ
running through a
mainframe about 60 miles away, but would like to know if there is any truth to
this...don't think
we have any member sin Paris yet...who could go check.

noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa

Now shipping:  HERITAGE HYMNS for the PR-300 and organ solo...play with a MIDI
Orchestra.