[rodgersorgan] Re: Locked Consoles

  • From: Ed Wilson <actionkbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT)

After many service calls where no one could "find the key," I learned with new
customers to find out if the console was kept locked, and if it is kept locked,
insist that the key be tracked down before I made the call... then if I were to
have a regular service contract,  have a copy of the key made for myself. On
those occasions where no one seems to know where the key is located, I check
the bench... probably 60% of the time - there it is! Other service calls were
saved by the fact that many console keys are only there to keep the honest
honest.  Those "skeleton" type key locks used on many pipe consoles, as well as
Hammond tone wheel consoles can be defeated in about 20 seconds with a stiff
piece of wire, or a set of pocket nail clippers.  That technique saved many a
return call for lack of a key. Other keys are common throughout the piano and
organ industry, such as those ones with the triangular shaped tip, and other
skeleton type keys used for piano fly and fallboard locks. Of course, many
folks don't lock the consoles at all... that is probably 40% of the total out
there. Ed

Srorganist@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed the stories about organ consoles being locked up and instruments
"being off limits" to others.

When I was 13, the church where I grew up had their pipe organ rebuilt. It
had been silent for several years as the tubular pneumatic action had not
been kept in repair. I remember the first Sunday I heard it and could feel
the floor shake from the low bourdon notes. I asked permission to take organ
lessons and the church board turned the request down because they had three
volunteer organists and didn't need another. They were also scared that I
might damage the instrument. One of the organists took my side and told the
board that young musicians should be encouraged. A couple of years ago I was
in town for my 40th High School reunion and visited the church and I hadn't
been in since graduating. The organ was in good repair, under a maintenance
contract, but seldom played as they didn't have an organist anymore.

Having worked in the organ maintenance and tuning business for some years,
I'm only too familiar with locked consoles (locks having been changed) and an
organist that couldn't be found when we arrived to tune. Then there would be
a fuss about paying a service call when we couldn't do anything.

And, my favorite is the organist(s) who always complained about the organ
sounding "wavy". We finally figured out she had celeste stops in full organ
combinations. She couldn't get it through her head about how those stops
should be used. Of course, the next time we went back, the celeste stops
were back in almost all combinations.

I've substituted (at the last minute) for organists when the key couldn't be
found and you might finally get on the bench for the first hymn with no idea
what was on the pistons or what kind of sound you were going to get. Some
churches made it impossible to practice and others literally gave you the
keys to the kingdom without even knowing who you were.

Just some thoughts and little stories about my experience with the current
subject of this group.

I hope each of you have a Blessed and Joyful Easter!!

David E. Dillon
Organist, St. Paul's Methodist Church
Tulsa, OK
Owner of a Rodgers 950